For starters, March is Music in our Schools Month and we've been celebrating! Students have been finishing the sentence "Music Make Me_______!" and I've been posting pictures of their answers on my Instagram (@danekermusic). There have been some funny answers like "Music Makes me Dehydrated!" and "Music Makes me have chapped lips!", but overall the students are proving that music is making a huge impact on their lives.
What should students be practicing right now?
- 5th grade
- SCALES! I know these aren't fun, but they are important!
- Ask your student to show you the Circle of 4ths. Can they play every note?
- Trouble spots in concert music. "If you sound amazing when you practice you aren't practicing the correct sections!" Work on stuff that isn't easy!
- 4th grade
- Red Book coin songs. Every student SHOULD be up to #57. Ask them where they are!
- Concert Music - there is a lot of tough stuff we are working on! Practicing at home and doing your individual part will make a huge difference when we work on putting it all together.
Concerts are coming up in about a month (5th grade - May 1; 4th grade (w/Jazz Band) - May 2) and we are in what's considered crunch time. EVERY rehearsal is super important. I'm so excited to share what we've been working on!